My name is Sam but everyone knows me as The Random. I am the brains behind this so called operator.
therandomsam.com started out many moons ago as a simple travel blog, to log my 2007/2008 backpacking trip around the world. Now, not only does the site record my passion for travel, but also my love for photography, bicycles and anything I find fascinating during my time on this earth.
My life So Far.
I grew up on Mersea Island, Essex. On my 21st birthday I left the sleepy fishing village and moved to the bright lights and grey skies of London to pursue a career in the media. I’ve worked in many technical roles over the past 12 years at some of the top notch media companies – BBC and Red Bee Media.
Other facts about me.
- I was married to Julie by Elvis, in Vegas on September 30th 2011.
- I’ve settled in New York City.
- I love my music – Anything experimental and electronic, the weirder the better.
- I’m scared of heights and hate flying.
- My main camera is a Leica M6. Yes I still shoot on film.
- I’m drawn towards mountains and coast lines.
- The bike I ride is called Battle Cat.
- I find golf course and ski resorts some of the most intruding man-made disasters on this planet.
- Camping is fun. Yes, it really is.
- Hostels are better than hotels.
- Marmite – I love it.
- My favourite film is either Harold and Kumar – Escape From Guantanamo Bay or Fargo. I don’t really watch that many films.
- Books – Into the Wild will always be a firm favourite of mine.
- I’ll try anything once. Except Mongolian fermented horse milk.
- My guilty pleasure is…… Ke$ha. Because like her, sometimes I wake up feeling like P Diddy.
Now in my thirty’s, I have a few more dreams to conquer before officially growing up into the adult world. So please, stay tuned, things are about to get more random….